Constantly-changing hospitality laws in Australia can be frustrating and difficult to keep up with. But with Stacks on your side, your business will always be compliant with changes in the law surrounding your hospitality business.
The hospitality industry in Australia is regulated by a number of different Acts, covering everything from food safety to liquor licensing, the responsible service of alcohol, smoking, gaming, and employment laws. Staying abreast of the constantly changing laws can be challenging such as in the case of the recent ‘lock-out’ laws and liquor licence freeze currently in place in parts of Sydney.
It is crucial that you understand your obligations as a business within the hospitality industry, in order to protect yourself in the event of any future legal problems. If you are entering into the hospitality industry, it may be beneficial to seek legal advice so that you are well informed of the regulations and your rights under the law.
Stacks Law Firm has lawyers specialising in the legislation and regulations surrounding the hospitality industry. We understand the issues affecting the industry and can advise you in relation to the full spectrum of legal areas. We will also act for you in the event that your business finds itself the subject of legal proceedings.
Important legislation affecting the hospitality industry in NSW
- Liquor Act 2007 - regulates the sale, supply and consumption of alcohol
- Liquor Regulation 2008 - contains additional details such as Responsible Service of Alcohol training (RSI) and the management of licensed premises
- Innkeepers Act 1968 - includes the rights and obligations of hoteliers who offer accommodation in NSW
- Food Act 2003 - regulates food safety and the prevention of misleading conduct in relation to the sale of food
- Food Regulation 2015 - focuses on specific areas in relation to food safety, in line with the concept of ‘fit for purpose’ foods
- Gaming Machine Act 2001 - regulates gambling, including responsible conduct, minimising harm and the number of gaming machines in NSW
Hospitality issues Stacks Law Firm can assist you with
- Liquor licensing
- Buying a business with an existing liquor license
- Gaming laws
- Employment, workplace health and safety, and anti-discrimination laws
- Drafting and reviewing contracts
- Advice on the Hospitality Industry Award and wage rates
- Advice on complying with food safety standards
- Hotel liability issues such as where guest’s property has been lost or damaged
- Commercial leases
- Property transactions
- Noise restrictions
Need advice about the law affecting the hospitality industry? Call us today